In this age of individualism, generic marketing efforts just won’t cut it when trying to gain real results. Customers like to feel catered to. They want content that is relevant to them. But how do you have a personalized approach to marketing with so many customers? Here are 5 tips:
- Use personas. Segment your marketing, especially your email campaigns, by personas. Use as many personas as necessary for your particular customer base. This is a good way to personalize content while still being efficient with your time. Make sure to collect the right information from customers to appropriately characterize them under the right persona.
- Use social media. Social media is a great way to have two-way conversations with customers. If customers are taking the time to reach out to you, take the time to reach back.
- Use email. Personalizing emails can go far beyond using your customer's first name when addressing them. Along with sending personalized emails to certain persona segments, you can also send emails to customers based on their recent interactions with your site. For example, maybe they left items in their shopping cart, or maybe they have not logged into your website in an expected amount of time. This behavioral data can be used to send emails in order to reengage customers and tends to have a higher open rate.
- Use mobile optimization. This is important for two reasons. First, catering to your mobile users is vital so as not to miss out on the large number of users on these devices. In addition, mobile can provide a large amount of information, including location, which can be used to optimize ads and their effectiveness.
- Personalize yourself. Help customers see you as a person, not just a business. Include information and pictures of your leadership team on your website. When sending important emails, instead of closing with your company name, close with the name of whoever wrote the email and maybe even their picture. Sometimes sending emails from a particular person rather than the company email can be effective as well. Lastly, you can also use social media to post exciting things going on in the office that customers might enjoy hearing about.
These five tips add an individualized touch to your marketing campaigns. And overall, if done effectively, doing so can lead to greater customer response and satisfaction. Plus, personalizing your marketing forces you to get to know your customer better, which is always a good thing.